A Greek Revival Mansion
Located in Howardsville, Virginia, this estate was built in the 1850s for Daniel James Hartsook, a merchant, banker and planter. In 1865, Union troops raided Howardsville and Monticola, but left the mansion undamaged. In 1887, Emil Otto Nolting purchased the estate. Nolting modified the portico and added a semicircular porch at the rear of the house. Monticola remained in the Nolting family into the twentieth century. The estate changed hands several times since then.
When Dunterry LLC acquired the home it was showing its age. Dunterry worked with Frazier Associates to develop a renovation plan that was approved by the Virginia Department of Historic Resources. Dunterry was able to restore the original front porch design. A kitchen, bathrooms and closets were added. The home is now available for purchase with 200 acres for $4,116,052 or purchase with 292 acres for $4,991,808, with 30-year owner financing terms also potentially available.
The estate at Monticola features the following:
- Fully renovated mansion with two stories on a full finished walkout basement
- A cupola overlooking three counties
- 4 Bedrooms (3.5 baths)
- Eleven 18×18′ rooms
- Double parlor with pocket doors
- Gourmet chef’s kitchen with adjacent family room
- Billiard room with wet bar and entertainment area
- Office area
- 12 fireplaces (with gas inserts)
- Heart-pine floors throughout
- Accessible cupola
- Original smokehouse
- Original 810 square foot cottage (could be guest house or studio)
- 4 other outbuildings
- Mature boxwoods and cedar grove
- Gated entrance with video security
- And much more!
Monticola is a magnificent home waiting for the distinctive touch of its new owner, whether that be as an equestrian facility, winery, or as a simple country estate. Showings are by appointment only; agents and brokers are warmly welcomed. Additional information on the property may be found here. Please check out our recent article in Abode Magazine.
Call (540) 480-0902 for your exclusive tour today!
Sales Executive Dunterry, LLC
Equal Housing Opportunity